Money and Investment Lessons the show Stranger Things teaches Us!
When Stranger Things premiered in 2016, it shook the world. The pleasant, sympathetic characters felt like the perfect rendition of our favourite science fiction cliches, and a nostalgic soundtrack and jazzy 80s clothing added to the feeling. Moreover, we developed a deep affection for the prepubescent, super-strong gang at the centre of the show and the (admittedly) sleepy and lovely town of Hawkins.
It's not surprising that such a well-known show offers plenty for everyone, including investment and money gurus! So it's the ideal moment to review some of the more nuanced money lessons from Stranger Things as Season 4 is celebrating a month of its release. To level up your money game with the group, grab an Eggos waffle.
Those who haven't seen Netflix's "Stranger Things" should be warned! The following section might contain spoilers.
Lesson No. 1: From Joyce Byers
“Be prepared for the unexpected, and keep a rainy day fund.”
- If Joyce Byers' crazy life turns have taught us anything, it's that everything is possible. Even the kidnapping of your beloved son upside-down! As the responsible mother she is, Joyce immediately devotes her entire effort to finding Will. She even requests a two-week advance from her employer to make ends meet.
- The takeaway is that having an emergency fund is your safety net in case something goes wrong. Even if you never need an emergency fund, having one on hand is always a good idea. You're not alone in building an emergency fund. But when you stick with it, you'll be astonished at how much money you may save.
Lesson No. 2: From Terry Ives, Eleven’s Mother
“Don’t let the Exttrrraaa money get in over your head.”
- Terry Ives, Eleven’s mom, was tricked into doing some awful things for money, ultimately affecting her and her daughter. She almost lost her life because of what she believed to be a simple way to get additional money.
- Similarly, when we talk of money, easy and more money attracts everyone, isn’t it? So even while people invest, they think of getting extra money quickly. But according to the experts, you let your money grow when you keep them invested for longer.
- Albert Einstein famously remarked that "compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world." This idea of self-interest is known as self-interest. The advantages of an investment that keeps giving allow investors to increase profits. An investor's ability to stay in the market for a longer amount of time will result in more compounding periods and a faster rate of interest accumulation.
Lesson No. 3: From Billy Hargrove
“Ensure the safety of your ride by getting insurance.”
- We all recall Billy's memorable entry. Unfortunately, his 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z will reside in obscurity forever! Billy's car was his baby, even though he's careless with everything else. Additionally, if you cherish your whip, you must insure it!
- When we are young, healthy, have several income sources, and live our best life possible, we frequently question why we need insurance. However, no matter how much money you make, how wealthy you have been, or how strong and healthy you are, one of the most crucial financial decisions you will ever make is whether to prepare for emergencies.
- There are many types of insurance plans, including general, health, term, retirement, life, auto, and property insurance. Any insurance policy's principal objective is to safeguard you and save you from a heavy financial burden in times of need.
Lesson No. 4: Eleven, aka Jane
“The right time to do things is NOW.”
- From the moment the character of Eleven is introduced to us, we see her struggling for basic things like food and shelter. Her initial days are filled with turmoil, and she continues to hide in Mike’s basement, surviving only on leftovers and Eggos. The second season also pretty much starts the same for her. Nevertheless, we see things getting normal for me. In season 3, she is seen starting a new and ‘normal’ life with the Byers. Eleven starts going to school; we see her doing assignments, trying to get along with her classmates etc. She had the determination to start her normal life even when it was supposedly late for her.
- In a similar way, if we compare this to investing, there is the same game to be played. Experts say that the best time to invest in your future is NOW. There is never a right or wrong time to begin investing. What important is that you make the appropriate investing decision and make regular investments. Creating a solid financial strategy and adhering to it to achieve your financial goals is crucial. Uncertainties in the market and the economy rarely disappear. When one event is over, another one starts. Therefore, don't concentrate on the immediate situation. Have a long-term perspective. Delaying your investments may lead to opportunity loss, as seen below.
Lesson No. 5: From the Squad
“Never give up and learn from your mistakes.”
- As the series opens, we see four power group members: Mike, Will, Lucas and Dustin. From there onward, we see an addition of members as the series progresses, making the squad bigger and bigger. This squad always works together to join the dots before taking on the direct fight with ‘Stranger Things.’ While the journey of their battle with the beings from Upside Down has been full of mistakes, they make sure that they learn from their past mistakes. And, trust me, this is the secret behind their triumph in the deadly battles they have faced season by season.
- In the investment world, too, Investors commonly neglect the more crucial step of investigating and evaluating a company's financial statements and prospectus before investing. Just because someone else is doing it or telling you to, don't invest in something you don't fully comprehend.
- Gains and losses are unquestionably a part of the investing process. As a result, if you're not careful, you can make some costly financial errors that could lower the value of your portfolio. Future choices are hampered by your investing mistakes, and a disturbed psyche could result in even more expensive mistakes.
Stranger Things sure has taught us some valuable money and investing lessons. These lessons help us strategically manage our money and investments better and more easily.
At Glide Invest, we aim to simplify investing for you. Glide Invest will help you invest in your goals with Goal-Based Investing, get higher returns than standard mutual funds with Smart Portfolios, or invest in your favourite funds with Custom Portfolio. Download the Glide Invest App now to get started!